True Christian counseling is impossible without the ministry of the Holy Spirit working inside and alongside those involved in the discipleship process. Without His work, counseling remains mere self-help talk. How does the third member of the Trinity energize the “counseling process?” Consider these 12 ways.
1. The Spirit prays for the counselor when he/she does not know how to pray or counsel (Rom. 8:26).
2. The Spirit convicts unbelievers of their sin, God’s righteousness, and warns them of the coming judgment (Jn. 16:7-11).
4. The Spirit has baptized believers into the body of Christ (1 Cor. 12:12).
6. The Spirit indwells believers, thus making us God’s possession in Christ (Jn. 14:16-17; 1 Cor. 19-20).
8. The Spirit assures struggling believers of their sure standing as children of God (Rom. 8:12-16).
12. The Spirit progressively transforms believers into the image of Christ (2 Cor. 3:18).
Join the Conversation
How could these biblical principles increase your confidence in the Holy Spirit in the counseling/discipleship process and His power to transform our lives?
Note: This post first appeared at the Counseling One Another blog and is used by permission of Paul Tautges. To read the original post at CCC, visit 12 Ways.