Bless: We intentionally bless others through words, gifts or actions.
How do I practice the Bless Rhythm as a Gospel Shepherd?
So what do we do to prepare to speak the truth in love?
- Consider your motive. Pray through it. Is it your desire to honor God and point the person to him? Are you fearful of the person, or are you resting in your identity as a child of God?
- Consider Jesus’ approach. Begin with some questions.
- Keep it grounded in the truth of the situation, and in the truth of the gospel. This is where some specific biblical principles might come into play.
- Pray and ask the Spirit what to say.
- Keep in mind the goal: repentance and faith
Guiding them through the creation of a plan
Avoid whatever provokes or strengthens sinful desires
- Avoid tempting situations
- Be aware of times or emotional states when we are more tempted
- Don’t ask, “how far can I go and still be safe?” but ask, “How far can I run away from this?”
- Eliminate music, movies, or hobbies that feed your sinful desires
Practice whatever increases Spiritual desires
After laying these simple guidelines out, put the creation of the plan on them. Make it homework.
Use three basic coaching questions as a guide
- Where are you? / What does the Story say about your situation?
- Where do you want to go? / What are God’s goals for change in this situation?
- How will you get there? / What are some biblical methods for accomplishing God’s goals of change
NOTE: You can download the original file below: